Call Back Request
Start Your Free Online Visa Assessment or Call Now On 0203 675 3675

Fiance Visa

If you are engaged to someone who is British or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, then you may be able to apply to join them here as their fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner. You cannot apply for this visa from inside the UK.

You will have to show that you meet the following requirements:

  • You are both aged 18 or over at the date of the application; and
  • You have met in person; and
  • Your relationship is genuine and you both intend to live together permanently; and
  • Any previous relationship that either of you has had has broken down permanently; and
  • There will be enough accommodation for you and anyone else who lives with you without relying on public funds, both before and after the marriage or civil partnership; and
  • You can speak and understand English to the required standard; and
  • You meet the UK Border Agency’s financial requirement

A fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner visa will be issued for six months. You cannot work in the UK during this time. Once you have had your marriage or civil partnership, you will be able to apply to switch into the spouse or civil partner category. You will then need to meet the requirements set out above in relation to spouses and civil partners.

Financial requirements

You will need to show that your spouse or partner in the UK has a gross annual income of at least £18,600. If you are also bringing a child with you (who is not British, an EEA national or otherwise settled in the UK), your spouse or partner’s gross annual income will have to be £22,400. For each additional child, add £2,400 to this total to see how much income your spouse or partner will need to have.

If you are already in the UK and you are working legally, then you can rely on your own gross income as well as your spouse or partner’s income, or instead of theirs. If your income is not enough then you may be able to rely on savings instead of your income or in addition to it. Your savings will have to be at least £16,000.

If your spouse or partner is receiving benefits for a disability then you will not be required to show such a high income or level of savings.

If you are already in the UK but you cannot meet all of the requirements set out above – for example, because you do not have enough money – then you may still be able to apply if it would be unreasonable for your child, spouse and/or partner to leave the UK. If you apply on this basis and your application is successful then you will be eligible for indefinite leave to remain after 10 years.


Free assessment on your circumstances by a qualified specialist image
Application preperation & submission image
Dedicated OISC registered case worker image
Unlimited legal advice image
Unlimited face to face consultations image
Fixed fee for all applications image
Multi-lingual support image
Access to the online case management portal image
Regular updates on your case image